[crossfire] Death Penalty, was Re: IRC traffic for Sunday Oct 22

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:15:35 CDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:42:20 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
>   I'm not sure what the limbo map gets us.

I just tossed that around as a possible mechanism to pick your choice of
penalty.  You could be moved to Limbo, where you can choose between the
options you list below by stepping on different exits, or somesuch --
similar to the current Halls of Selection.

>   A choice between death penalties is interesting.  But then you have to
>   ask what the penalties are.  Obvious choices:
> - exp loss
> - stat loss
> - monetary loss
> - time loss (character/player has to sit a while?)
> - other?

I think monetary as in money proper is probably too cheap (and you
probably won't be carrying enough to pay it); but sacrificing valuable
artifacts adds a cool twist.

Also, exp itself can be broken down; "step here to lose X points on your
currently active skill" (so you ready_skill then go) in one place, and in
another the current "step here to lose Y% exp on all your skills" (where X
would have to be larger than Y% of course).

I like stat loss, of course; but high-level players have piles of stat
potions, so maybe that's only accepted up to a certain level? (Or in
practise, it "costs" more and more stat points according to your overall
exp, so that it always "hurts" sufficiently)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
       then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they
       soon become inevitable.
--
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/ technical:
                  http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/ GNU: never give up