[crossfire] Death Penalty, was Re: IRC traffic for Sunday Oct 22

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:32:32 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 15:15, Lalo Martins wrote:

> I think monetary as in money proper is probably too cheap (and you
> probably won't be carrying enough to pay it); but sacrificing valuable
> artifacts adds a cool twist.

That's why I suggested 'life insurance' (really 'death insurance' I guess) so
that a player could pay an amount of money in advance to reduce the effect of
the death penalty if a player dies during the span of the insurance policy.
Probably that would have to be capped to a certain point (95% or so maybe) so
that dying is still disadvantageous, then you would have cost being something
like (% of death penalty to offset (1-95))^2*(hours for policy to
last)^2*(level of player)^2*some scaling factor that is considered to make
the costs sensible.

This would mean that a player wanting to keep their death penalty low for a
long period of time would have to pay a great deal of money, and anyone who
happened to die when their insurance lapsed would have only themselves to
blame for taking the full death penalty.