[crossfire] Rebalancing, difficulty curve -- simple ideas

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Sep 1 18:23:19 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> This problem could be solved by using different curves for different
> skills.
>
> When I consider the characters that I have played and compare the
> levels that I have reached in each skill, I see that I can group the
> skills in several categories:
> - "combat skills": one/two handed weapons, missile weapons,
>          punching/karate/clawing, evocation, praying, pyromancy,
> 	 sorcery, summoning, ...
> - "mental/craft skills": bargaining, lockpicking, find/disarm traps,
>          sense curse/magic, alchemy, bowyer, jeweler, literacy, ...
> - "other skills": climbing, jumping, ...
>
> Usually, I can reach level 100+ in several of the "combat skills"
> because these skills collect the exp from monsters.  But for the
> "mental/craft skills", I am happy when I can reach level 20 (if I
> exclude the alchemy cheats).  I don't know if it is possible to gain
> exp in the "other skills" so I will ignore these for the moment.

Actually, I'm also thinking that tweaking the overall level exp curve as
a separate one from combat or mental/craft might be a good idea. I think
that proper adjustment of that might help to encourage people to
specialize a little bit which IMHO would be a good thing, similar in
effect to Lalo's suggestion of skills contributing less than 100% exp to
overall exp.

Alex Schultz