[crossfire] Rebalancing, difficulty curve -- simple ideas

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Sep 2 16:47:34 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet wrote:

> The current exp_table (with its flaws) was obviously designed for the
> "combat skills" and for the total experience.  But it does not work as
> well for the "mental/craft skills".  Awarding more exp points for
> using these skills successfully would not be a good solution because
> these should not contribute as much to the total exp.  But on the
> other hand, it would be nice if it was possible to reach level 100+ in
> literacy or other skills.

  I think there is more an issue of just monsters -

  for the combat skills, you can basically find tougher and tougher monsters,
that give lots more exp.

  For most of the mental skills, the complication of things gets cut off.
Readables above level 10 are pretty darn rare.  I'm not sure about find/detect
traps, and the item identification skills are another issue all together.

  I don't think multiple exp tables is really the way to go.  Why?  Because I
think you may really need 6-7 tables for things to be fair for all the skills.

  And given that the exp table is currently a config file that can be
customized, having lots of tables one has to adjust would seem to be really
complicated for servers.

  I do think the correct approach is this:
1) re-adjust exp rewards for non combat skills so that level can go up in a
reasonable fashion.  For readables, it could mean that 10 readables at your
current skill level amounts to a level for example, for lockpick, 30 doors, etc.

2) Adjust the non combat skills so they contribute less exp to the total - that
can be done right now - make it 20% or something.

  However, this second point can be an issue - lots of people say that it should
be reasonable to play non combat characters.  Overall level doesn't mean a whole
bunch - it is just hp.  A level 100 character with no combat skills will still
fair poorly in battles

`