[crossfire] The Kirby project: Valkyrie, goddess of war

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 06:53:47 CDT 2006

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:49:54 -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
>> The slaying thing will only affect enchanted weapons, and she gives them
>> rather frequently (as weapons are sacred to her).
>
>   Does she give arrows out a lot?  That could help give these character some
> form of range attack.

I could do that.  Enchanted arrows?  I think "normal" arrows are about
easy enough to find already.

>> One alternative idea is to change the flesh code to fill the exp field
>> of flesh objects with the exp of the originating monster; would that
>> have any unexpected side-effects?  Then of course the altar wouldn't
>> give the whole exp, just a fraction depending on some factors yet to be
>> defined.
>
>   I'm not sure if there would be any side effects of filling in the exp
>   field.
> I doubt it, but I'm not 100% sure that exp isn't overloaded with some
> extra meaning.

I checked the sell code (shop.c) and the eat code (apply_food()), didn't
find any.  Anyone can think of another possible use?

Then I made the change in my server, tried eating flesh with a dragon,
selling it, and using it for alchemy, nothing unexpected seems to have
happened.  So I'll let it rest for a day or two just in case someone
speaks up, then commit it.

>> (On an unrelated note, if I do change the flesh code, I'd like to add
>> the archetype of the original monster in the other_arch field, for the
>> purpose of a spell I'm thinking about; any problem with that?)
>
>   probably not.  The issue may be that the archetype may not be entirely
>   useful
> - custom monsters on high level maps vary quite a bit from the
> archetype, so you'd have to be careful what fields you use and what you
> use them for.

I don't care so much.

The idea is a "raise dead" or somesuch spell, that turns corpses into
(pet) zombies, and heads/hearts into wraiths.  It would use the arch of
the original monster to set attributes and resists, then apply
modifications for undead.  Yeah, that would leave them weaker than you'd
expect for custom monsters, but I find that perfectly acceptable.  Anyway,
I'm not writing the spell today or tomorrow, so there's time to figure it
out :-)  I just thought, if I'm changing flesh to have exp, might as well
put in the other_arch in the same commit.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
       then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they
       soon become inevitable.
--
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/ technical:
                  http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/ GNU: never give up