[crossfire] CVS -> SVN conversion

Christian Hujer cher at riedquat.de
Mon Sep 11 17:10:28 CDT 2006

Hi all,

Am Montag, 11. September 2006 01:11 schrieb Mark Wedel:
> 1) They don't have a conversion utility, but rather directions (using
> cvs2svn) to make the change.
Well, they used to have a conversion utility:
https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/svn_migration.php?group_id=nnnnnn
(Replace nnnnnn with the project id of crossfire)

Instructions:
https://sourceforge.net/docs/E09#import

But actually I never got that migration tool working, it always failed for me.

> 2) The CVS respository does not appear it will go away, so after the
> conversion, both SVN and CVS access will be available.  However, only
> updates should be done to SVN, so CVS will go out of date (but is still
> probably useful as a reference for older releases).
Yep.

> 1) A date for the switchover needs to be chosen.
Yes.

> 2) Since CVS will remain on-line, I think the safest thing to do there is
> revoke everyones read/write access to CVS at said date, since there
> shouldn't be any reason for anyone to do commits.
Yes. And remove the CVS link from the project page after a while. It's
possible to disable the CVS link on the admin page.

> 4) I don't believe the SVN by default provides support for the $Id$ string
> version control at the top of files.
It does. It only has to be switched on for each file individually.
It's done via
svn propset svn:keywords Id filename
For instance:
cd sandbox ; find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 svn propset svn:keywords Id
or if it's not that many files, especially none with whitespace in their name
cd sandbox ; svn propset svn:keywords Id $(find -type f)

On the svn:externals issue for Gridarta:
Actually, if somebody uses Subversion, from a Subversion point of view I'd say
it's expected that some parts of the repository actually might be read only,
either because it's configured that way (it's possible with Subversion in
general, though not available at SourceForge), or because it's an external.

I think the svn:externals is a nice feature worth using it.
I see the following Pros:
* It won't change much for existing developers.
* If somebody wants to change something and hasn't write access on Gridarta,
we can put him on the project.
* When thinking of Ragnor, I assume he'd really like the svn:externals
solution.
* Server side, svn:externals is nothing but a file property. No overhead.

I also see the following Cons:
* It's something not every CF developer automatically has write access to.
* Developers not interested in Gridarta would still be forced to checkout
Gridarta. (Afaik svn:externals are fetched automatically during update)

What I know for sure is that we (Gridarta) will use svn:externals quite a lot
in future, not only for accessing Crossfire.

Cu all :)
--
Christian Hujer
Free software developer
mailto:cher at riedquat.de
http://www.riedquat.de/
PGP Fingerprint: 03DE 4B72 4E57 A98D C79B 24A5 212E 0217 0554 CCAB