[crossfire] CVS -> SVN conversion

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Sep 13 00:46:20 CDT 2006

Christian Hujer wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 07:35 Mark Wedel wrote:
>>   Actually, from what I gather, it seems unlikely someone would do a svn
>> checkout at the top of the repository.
>>
>>   The reason being is that if you do that, you'll also get all the
>> branches, which would amount to a pretty huge amount of data.
>>
>>   I doubt people would even checkout out all the trunks, but maybe wrong on
>> that.  So that probably isn't as much an issue.
> Did you already think about how to organize the repository?
>
> The main question is: Do you want to apply ttb to maps, client, server etc.
> independently or one for all?
>
> Module-Individual ttb:
> /<modulename>/trunk
> /<modulename>/tags
> /<modulename>/branches
>
> Global ttb:
> /trunk/<modulename>
> /tags/<modulename>
> /branches/<modulename>
>
> Technically, I'd usually prefer the Module-individual ttb.
> If so, it would be a good idea to provide a virtual module named complete (or
> something better, I'll just assume the name "complete" for this example),
> probably with trunk only, where trunk has svn:externals set to include the
> trunks of the other modules:
> cd complete;
> svn propset svn:externals "maps
> https://subversion.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/maps/trunk
> client https://subversion.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/client/trunk"
> etc..

  It will be module individual ttb - that is the default, and I think the best
way to go - keeps things like branches and what not a bit more managable.

  This also matches the current CVS setup - there are different top level
entries that can be checked out.

  SVN does present some more options, since external references can be done,
etc.   I'm not sure how much use an ability to check out all the main trunks
would get used - maybe for the home hacker.  But I imagine for most public
servers, they probably don't want the editor or client, etc.

  But I suppose there is no real harm to add something like that, whether or not
people use it or not.