[crossfire] Release schedule/notes

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Apr 6 15:03:08 CDT 2007

Hello.

Reacting kind of lately, but well :)

>   The client, as of right now, should be compatible with older server (eg,
> a trunk client can player on a 1.10.0 server without problems), so we could
> do releases of those.  I almost wonder if it makes sense to completely
> decouple the numbering schemes between those, and instead have a
> compatibility chart.  My expectation is that trunk client will likely be
> able to play on 1.x servers until some protocol changes are made and the
> legacy support for older protocol is removed from the client.  What this
> effectively means is that one day the trunk client could work with 1.x, and
> the next day it doesn't.

We should already clear some really old stuff, which has been left over from
previous things. That would make some room :)

>   I really thing, relative to the trunk, this is a brief outline of steps:
> 1) Finish with the major overhaul of whatever we plan to overhaul in the
> trunk server for 2.0
> 2) Set up some test server(s), see how they work.
> 3) start worrying about making pre 2.0 releases once we have a pretty good
> idea that what we have will have some semblance to what final 2.0 will look
> like.

Concerning point 2), we should have such servers starting from now. There are
many things in trunk that aren't in branch, so it'd be a waste to wait too
much before trunk becomes the officiel version :)

IMO, doing a 1.11 release isn't necessary. We should concentrate on trunk
(yes, there are many bugs, which is why we need to focus on fixing that), and
only do bug fix releases of 1.x branch.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref