[crossfire] Getting more artists

mwedel at sonic.net mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Apr 10 21:36:48 CDT 2007

> To be honest, I'd like to give the more accurate description of the
> project,
> including its shortcomings or what can be seen as a weeknesses:
> * we aren't many developers or mapmakers (number varies, of course)
> * sometimes no one replies to questions asked, or it can take some (3+)
> days/weeks

 I'd probably say that needs to be clarified.  The difference between 3
days and 3 weeks is pretty big.

 I'd probably say that in general, most questions will be answered within
a few days.

 Certainly, some times people are on vacation, etc, but to me, it seems
that it is a rare occurence that something that hasn't been discussed for
several weeks is responded to.  And most often, this is the case when
someone that has been on vacation, etc, comes back and wants to respond,
which is different than basic developer questions, which tend to be
answered within a week.

 Might also want to mention the irc channel, as another place for
support/asking questions.

> * player base is pretty low, ~10 players on Metalforge for instance
> * (insert other things you can think of here)

 I might try to avoid specific numbers.  Number we know about on specific
public servers is relatively low, and we don't really know how many
people play on private servers.  So you might want to leave out a
specific number, but instead say something like 'relative small userbase'

> and of course the basic information:
> * what is Crossfire
> * GPL code and graphics and what not
> * more than 10 years of development, so long-time project (it shouldn't
> die
> soon)
> * 32x32 base sprites, can be multitiled
> * and other things we can think of

 Might want to also mention that graphics or other changes are likely to
be incorporated relatively quickly, which may be a plus.

 Should probably make it clear that any contributed graphics must be under
GPL.

 Note that given GPL rules, we could probably go hunting for graphics that
are already under GPL and incorporate them into crossfire.