[crossfire] Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

Robin Redeker elmex at ta-sa.org
Fri Apr 13 11:41:56 CDT 2007

Hi!

Some time ago we heard on the irc channel (some month/weeks ago) that
some users find the '+' suffix of the crossfire+ servers confusing.

Now that we removed it, it seems to be even more confusing (as far as
gros or others on the IRC channel are concerned).

So, now the question: What version should we send to the metaserver?
What would you like most? 'CF+<version>' would be an alternative that would
distinguish the crossfire+/crossfire2 servers from others.
We would also be fine with '<version>++', it would also sign nicely that
our codebase is C++. Or also the old '<version>+' scheme is fine with us.
('cf++<version>-perl' would be a bit too cumbersome IMO :-)

Maybe in the long run a column that has the header 'Gamebase' or
'Codebase' on the metaserver would distinguish server types best.

Also w.r.t. to our project name that we lateley changed to 'Crossfire2':
What should we name us? What would you like most? We would be fine with
going back to 'Crossfire+', but we changed it in the first place in
response to the discussions on #crossfire.
It would help to have an official position from you.

Also, an official decision on what 'Crossfire' is and what not would be
nice. Not long ago in the decision about the metaserver w.r.t to the
playercounts and misinformation it was decided that 'Crossfire' is what
speaks the protocol.

Greetings,
   Robin