[crossfire] Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

Yann Chachkoff yann.chachkoff at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 14 06:20:40 CDT 2007

>>  My quick thougths on this:
>>
>>  Crossfire+/crossfire2/schmorp should really come up with its own unique
>> name for the project, just as daimonin did when it split off.

>The difference between Crossfire+ and Daimonin is that we currently
>still are protocol compatible. Aside from that only some of our maps
>differ and the overall gamebalance was changed (from the users view).
>(If gamebalance and maps are significant, then I wonder whether cat2 is
Crossfire).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the code has changed as well, including switching parts to C++ and integrating Perl as a scripting language. That, more than the content, makes the project different IMHO.

AFAIK, cat2 is still Crossfire: although some of the game content is different, the server code is basically the same. Thus, yes, that's the same application for me.

>> Calling it most anything with crossfire in its name is confusing.

>I don't really understand that, who finds it confusing and why?

Are you joking ? "Crossfire2" presents your project as the 'next version' of Crossfire (which is still in the 1.x series). Are you so naive to believe that using the same name for both projects does not create confusion between both ?