[crossfire] Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 14:58:26 CDT 2007

Ok, this whole argument is showing the need for a "codebase type" field
for the metaserver.  A description of this field should also be provided
to the user of the client if it is implemented.

A couple of other fields i can think of that would be useful would be
for "map set" and "server configuration".

As for the version string, something like "CF+2.1" looks like it should
be read as "Crossfire (plus/and) 2.1", where the "CF+" indicating an
alternative codebase is not very obvious to those who are computer
illiterate (which most of our player base is not at this moment), and
people who are not familiar with either project.  I personally think
something like "CFP-2.1" or "NG-2.1" would be less confusing to those
people.

As for the name "Crossfire2", "Quake2" comes logically after "Quake".
Thus it is inferred that one replaces the other.  Because of that, I
would avoid naming a fork as such, unless the project it was forked from
was completely dead.