[crossfire] Metaserver policy, was Re: Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

mwedel at sonic.net mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Apr 14 18:35:59 CDT 2007

> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 07:29 -0700, mwedel at sonic.net wrote:
>
> Agreed, if we end up allowing paid subscription servers, definitely add
> a column that would contain an icon to indicate pay servers.

 So maybe that rule should be revised to something like 'If the server
requires paid subscription, the server must report that to the
metaserver'.

> IIRC, there where a few servers that had their own maps (exclusive to
> that server).  Also, giving away a map is equivalent to giving away a
> spoiler, which some people wouldn't want to do.

 I'd say the issue is more if the beginner maps are different.  If one
server has level 50 maps that another server doesn't, that isn't a big
deal to me, as by then, the player is likely to be savvy enough to know
about some differences.

>>  But images are trickier - one could rightfully assume that any image
>> they
>> see is GPL.  And given the client can cache these images, a person could
>> then assume that any image they have in that cache is also GPL.  So a
>> server using non GPL images could be confusing to players.
>
> IMO, it is easier for most people to just grab the images from svn,
> instead of from the client cache.

 But my point was this:

 I fire up crossfire client and select something from the metaserver.  I
play around and see some image I like - something not in SVN.  I say
'that is a cool image'.  Now the right thing to do is send that server
admin an e-mail, but then again, I know about those things - I could
certainly see less savvy people thing 'hey, crossfire is GPL, so this
image should be also.  I think it would be cool to use elsewhere', and go
off an do so.