[crossfire] Metaserver policy, was Re: Crossfire+/Crossfire2 Versioning and Metaserver

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Sun Apr 22 18:15:19 CDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Andrew Fuchs wrote:

> IIRC, there where a few servers that had their own maps (exclusive to
> that server).  Also, giving away a map is equivalent to giving away a
> spoiler, which some people wouldn't want to do.

Yeah I don't think there is any intrinsic reason why all servers must have
the same map sets.  When people are developing new maps they may well put
them up on their own servers with a warning about the beta status of the
map.  Once they are properly tested they can go in to the core map set (or
not).

I'm not sure if others have seen this but a couple of years back I came
across some guy who had setup a Crossfire server for his kids.  All of the
maps on that server were apparently developed by the children themselves,
primarily for them to play in.  They had setup a website explaining what
they had done (including screen shots, etc).  Clearly he used Crossfire as
a vehicle for his kids to have fun and be creative at the same time.  I
think it was an excellent idea.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd      Email:          support at opentrend.net
                              Web:            www.opentrend.net
Contributing Member of Software in the Public Interest