[crossfire] Background music

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 12:07:13 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 15:53 +0200, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just added a 'background_music' field to maps.
>
> 'sound' setup has been changed. If client sends '2' as value (instead of 1),
> support for background music is enabled.
>
> When player enters a map, background music name is sent, or 'NONE' if nothing
> is defined for the map.
>
> There is still no client-side support, though. Not sure of the library to use
> for that (SDL sound, maybe?)
>
> background_music value is a free string, so it's up to us to decide what to
> use.
>
> It could be 'style:xxx' to specify a generic style, the client choosing one
> randomly from its curpus. And 'specific:xxx' to signify a particular
> background one, for special maps.

How is the client going to get the music?  Is it going to be included,
or will it download it from the server?  I would prefer that the
"default" sounds get included, and that custom ones can be downloaded by
the client.  Though in the case of downloading sounds, we need a way to
make sure that the client won't mix up two different servers custom
music (like two files having the same name).  A hash could possibly
solve this problem.

> IMO we could just get some musics from other free software projets :)

This can get annoying, since things can get to a state where almost
every gpled game has the exact same music.  Another place to find music
would be to get public domain scores, and convert them to midi, then put
them through a decent interpreter (in terms of sound), though I think a
few projects might do this already.