[crossfire] GTK2-v2 Client new layout defined (gtk-v1)

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 5 02:08:09 CDT 2007

> But for whatever reason, it seems a lot of people like the gtk1 client layout,
> which is why that client still exists and hasn't been completely replaced by the
> gtk2 client.
>
>   So since a gtk1 layout for the gtk2 client does now exist, it would seem that
> once that all gets formalized and set up, there really isn't any reason that the
> gtk1 client couldn't get removed - people would no longer be able to say "I
> don't like that layout", if in fact the layout is the same.  And removing that
> client is one less thing to support, so I think that is all good.
>
>   Now maybe we just need an old X11 layout for gtk2, and then we can get rid of
> that client also :)
>
>   But for whatever reason, it seems a lot of people like the gtk1 client layout,
> which is why that client still exists and hasn't been completely replaced by the
> gtk2 client.
>
>   So since a gtk1 layout for the gtk2 client does now exist, it would seem that
> once that all gets formalized and set up, there really isn't any reason that the
> gtk1 client couldn't get removed - people would no longer be able to say "I
> don't like that layout", if in fact the layout is the same.  And removing that
> client is one less thing to support, so I think that is all good.

I don't know the build tools enough to know how to integrate what I have
yet.  I'd like to look at libglade so it wasn't a matter of building multiple
binaries, but that will take time if I can keep up the interest.  In the mean
time, do I check in what I have even though it is awkward to build?  I think
it should be available if only to generate interest or feedback.

Right now I have my projects in gtk-v2/glade.  In there I have a script called
cp2src.sh that puts the built files in gtk-v2/src so that make; make install
will build one, but that doesn't make the binary a different name or anything.
I can make a Makefile do a make in the gtk-v2/glade directory that did a
make in gtk-v2 and renamed the binary, but it seems clunky and I haven't
done anything with automake and friends so don't really know what to do
to set it up to build all the various binaries automagically.

Do you care if I check in something like that in a gtk-v2/glade subdirectory,
or should it be alongside gtk-v2 instead of subordinate to it?

>  Now maybe we just need an old X11 layout for gtk2, and then we can get rid of
> that client also :)

That almost makes me want to fire it up for sake of the memories...  Wasn't
it kind of greenish or something?  Hey, when it comes down to it, it is the
game... not the client that holds people... isn't it?  Though the client helps
get more people on board I guess.

I still miss the dxclient at times, but I also remember the screen was
cramped... and I played GTK1 in favor of it with the guy next to me playing
the dxclient with mood music so I could get the best of both worlds.