[crossfire] libglade GTK2 client update & questions

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Aug 19 23:42:03 CDT 2007

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

> Question one is this.  Mark's original gtk-v2.glade sets up a screen size of
> 1201x1010 which for some reason shows up as taller than my screen in Glade
> Designer on a 1280x1024 graphic mode.  I would like to alter the _default_
> window size to 1275x945 for maximal horizontal space at 1280x1024 (but to
> allowing window frames to be grabbed), and to allow a "start bar" below the
> game window.  KDE's "Normal" panel setting was used to pick the vertical
> dimension.  Is there any objection to my altering the gtk-v2 layout only as
> pertains to default window size as it is already problematic in the
> horizontal dimension on 1280x1024

  I have no real issues with that.   I can't remember exactly why I chose that
resolutions as a default.  I will make the comment that it is hard to really
know what a persons particular layout will be (for example, I have my gnome
setup so that the toolbar/panel is vertical along the left edge of the screen
instead of horizontal at the bottom.  Now I run at a much higher resolution, so
that isn't an issue for this particular change, but if I was running at
1280x1024, then that could be annoying.

  But so long as the client can be reconfigured to be smaller, not a big deal there.

> Question two:  I do not like the "centered/justified/homogenous" look of the
> stat pane on the original layout.  I far prefer the stats to appear in a left-
> justified form, more like the ...gasp... GTK1 client, or more recent
> chthonic.glade layout.  I am curious if I stand alone on this.

  Doesn't make that much difference to me.  I suppose it depends on the width of
that actual window.

  But taking a quick look, I'd almost say I'd want a hybrid method.

  For example, on my client, I see something that is like

     Speed          1.05         Weapon Speed         2.40

  I think I'd like the speed/weapon speed each on their half of the screen,
instead of being all jumbled together, but the values that go with them close
together.  That is to say, something like:

          Speed 1.05             Weapon Speed 2.40

Instead of

Speed 1.05  Weapon Speed 2.40

  but that is just a preference based on size of the stats tab and visual
appearance.

> Question three:  I propose we change the default layout for the new client to
> be one that is more compatible with smaller screen sizes.  I do not know what
> format a new default should take, but I think chthonic.glade might be worth
> using as a seed for discussion and suggestions.  I would be glad(e) to provide
> the effort to realize a number of suggestions if people sketch out the window
> layout.

  Smaller screen size has always been messy.  One of the real changes needed to
support smaller screen sizes is better handling in the client of reducing map
size as its window gets smaller (eg, if the map window gets resized to be
600x600, then it should automatically change map size to 17x17 (600/32 is
actually 18.75, but I think odd map sizes work better, as that way the player is
centered).

  But aside from that, I'd suggest that if a default layout is chosen, then
there should be dialogs/config within the client to change the layout, and of
course have that stored in the gdefaults2 file (don't know if a gdefaults2-glade
is needed to seperate from normal gdefaults2).

  In short, I should have to need to mess with command line options each time I
run the client to get the layout I want.

> Lastly, I have some idea that the client could be made to support features like
> button bars.  Glade seems to offer functionality that could let the client
> easily adjust to layouts that did/didn't have certain elements.  I don't know
> how far I would go in the short term, but specific thoughts on how the GTK2
> client may be improved practically may be entertained since working this is
> proving to be rather fun.

  Not sure what a button bar is.