[crossfire] libglade GTK2 client update & questions

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 19 23:01:29 CDT 2007

A couple of FYIs and questions:

First,  the gtk-v2-libglade branch has been reworked to split out the common
dialogs for the metaserver, keybinding, configuration, spells, and about box
into a separate dialogs.glade file.  This was done to remove redundant
definitions for them in the various main client window .glade files.  The
client now depends on having access to two separate .glade files.

The command-line argument for the branch crossfire-client-gtk2 executable has
changed from a single -xml_file argument to -window_xml and -dialog_xml.  One
or both may be modified from the command-line as in:

  crossfire-client-gtk2 -window_xml chthonic.glade -dialog_xml dialogs.glade

Second, I have committed a new layout called chthonic.glade that is similar to
the screen shot I called "big_inv" earlier on the list.

Question one is this.  Mark's original gtk-v2.glade sets up a screen size of
1201x1010 which for some reason shows up as taller than my screen in Glade
Designer on a 1280x1024 graphic mode.  I would like to alter the _default_
window size to 1275x945 for maximal horizontal space at 1280x1024 (but to
allowing window frames to be grabbed), and to allow a "start bar" below the
game window.  KDE's "Normal" panel setting was used to pick the vertical
dimension.  Is there any objection to my altering the gtk-v2 layout only as
pertains to default window size as it is already problematic in the
horizontal dimension on 1280x1024?

Question two:  I do not like the "centered/justified/homogenous" look of the
stat pane on the original layout.  I far prefer the stats to appear in a left-
justified form, more like the ...gasp... GTK1 client, or more recent
chthonic.glade layout.  I am curious if I stand alone on this.

Question three:  I propose we change the default layout for the new client to
be one that is more compatible with smaller screen sizes.  I do not know what
format a new default should take, but I think chthonic.glade might be worth
using as a seed for discussion and suggestions.  I would be glad(e) to provide
the effort to realize a number of suggestions if people sketch out the window
layout.

Lastly, I have some idea that the client could be made to support features like
button bars.  Glade seems to offer functionality that could let the client
easily adjust to layouts that did/didn't have certain elements.  I don't know
how far I would go in the short term, but specific thoughts on how the GTK2
client may be improved practically may be entertained since working this is
proving to be rather fun.

Kevin Bulgrien