[crossfire] gtk-v2-libglade branch stable; ready for review/merge.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Aug 19 23:51:15 CDT 2007

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

> It is not possible to specify the .glade file from within the Client | Configure window.
> I looked at that code a bit, but have not really digested how it works if you want to
> save string data (path/filename) instead of a simple numeric value.  I guess the
> sound_server setting is one possible example to follow, but so far I haven't quite
> figured it out.

  The best thing to look at is probably the theme support, as that does a lot of
what you probably want - scans a directory for usable entries, makes up a
selection box of the different choices, etc.

> 2) Possibly create a mechanism so that Client | Save Window Position could work
>     for multiple .glade files without blowing away the saved settings for other
>     layouts.  Presently, if you run the client with a new layout, the Window sizing
>     may be broken because it will use the values set up for the previously used
>     layout.  I guess I'm not sure how big a deal that is since I see people latching
>     on to a favorite and playing with it.

  Maybe not that big a deal.  It might be nice however to store away what layout
was used when the window positions were saved (maybe a line in the gwinpos), so
that if I run with a different theme, it can figure that out and then use
default window positions then.

  Otherwise, a user could find that a layout seems unusable, because wrong
placement of widgets, etc, has been done (some portion resized too small to be
seen, whatever).  Or, and I don't know if this can be done, have something like
a 'reset window positions' menu item which reset things to default, so if I do
run with some new glade file and things are all out of whack, I can easily get
things back to a normal state.

> 3) I wonder if the .glade files should be named to make it obvious they are
>     designed only for the gtk-v2 client.  Perhaps so that the file name always
>     appears in the form gtk-v2-<stylename>.glade.  Ideas entertained.

  I'd probably instead put them all in a subdirectory that is so named, eg,
glade-gtk2 or something.  Also, if the only thing in that directory is glade
config files, it makes things easier with the logic for the config window.
IIRC, the themes for gtk2 are put in their own directory.