[crossfire] CFDialog Documentation (was Re: Vote: Next major project)

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 21 18:20:46 CDT 2007

> I'm sorry if I'm feeling my temper on this, but that's really BS. Any
> 2-minutes search on the Wiki would have told you what you needed to know
> about the extension alongside with an example script  (heck, I didn't even
> know which keywords would have worked to find the cfdialog page - I just
> tried the first words coming into my mind on that topic !). Now, if even a
> search in the Wiki is asking too much to a map-maker, then maybe we should
> plainly ask the question of the pertinence of maintaining a documentation
> wiki in the first place.

The full-auto, .50 cal. reply does nothing for the project.  I am sorry
to have offended you.  Whether you see it or not, there _is_ a wall that
people face when they are not the author's of a feature.  Your complaint
that people didn't know about the feature proves something, and I do know
exactly what I am up against when I try to do new things in crossfire.  I
did, you know, just figure out autoconf/automake when other developers are
too lazy to do it, so  I could do the libglade conversion, so this is not
at about being willing or not willing to dig, but it is about facilitating
people at overcoming barriers with discriminate redundancy, which is a
known quality of good training.  Two minutes is sufficient to drive most
people away from something if they know an easier way.  match is easier.
All your points about resources are good.  They will help if I feel like
taking on what I firmly believe will help people use the feature.  Whether
I did it correctly or not might be in question, but the motive behind what
and why I wrote is for the good of the project, and not to knock a skilled
and valued individual.  Please take some time to try to believe that.

Kevin