[crossfire] Arch repository: layered art files?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Dec 11 00:35:50 CST 2007

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Does anyone else think that putting the source files into SVN is a good idea,
> or just extra clutter?  I realize, for example, my source files are likely
> GIMP-specific, and I suppose each artist's favorite editor uses a different
> format.  That might be the biggest obstacle.  The next, perhaps, that artists
> come few and far between, so the likelihood of actual use may be very low,
>
> Beyond that, if it seems a good idea to various people, what file format
> preferences are out there?

  Putting the source files in their seems reasonable to me.  I think this was
done in the past when some folks where using 3d models for make some objects,
and put the source 3d files into the repository.

  I'd also say that putting in the gimp .xcf files might be the best standard.
I know that is what I use when editing images - and I suspect that is probably
what most people, at least those using a unixy type system, probably use.

  The other thing is that it is freely available and crossplatform - you can get
gimp for windows and macos.  There may be other applications with similar
features - in fact, I'm sure there are, but they probably are not as standard.