[crossfire] combat notes

David Delbecq tchize at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 04:03:30 CST 2007

En l'instant précis du 13/12/07 21:11, ERACC Subscriptions s'exprimait
en ces termes:

> Perhaps a method could be used to have them gradually reset back to the
> pristine state. Of course this would take a lot more resources on the server
> as the maps could not be gradually resetting while swapped out. Maybe to
> mitigate this a resetting daemon could run and load + check each swapped map
> every X seconds (tunable by the server owner) and manage the gradual reset
> then swap each map back out. This daemon would have a referent of the
> original map and use some smart programmer's algorithm to gradually clean it
> up and re-add the NPCs while no players are on it. If a player comes to the
> partially redone map and messes it up again no big deal as the daemon will
> use the same process to start gradually cleaning the map again once the
> player leaves. (I am not the smart programmer that can do this, but perhaps
> this idea can be a starting point for one of you who is a smart
> programmer :) ).
This is a *very* complicated way of handling things that is, imho, not
worth the troubles.
Imagine map X  with access to treasure Y, currently existing. Now you
gradually reset map  X and map Y. Istead of 5 electric dragons guarding
access to map Y, you only get 1. Easier to kill, you get thru and have
direct access to map Y :/

I think an easier way would be to add rules for *new* developped map so
that they simply should themself repopulate. You just use generator to
recreate progressively monsters. Maybe we could add to pixmap a special
generator already configured for this (hidden, not disappearing, etc).
Another solution would be to do some operation when swaping in a map,
based on the time map was swapped out. (>50 minutes, just a reset, else
for each 5 minutes it was out, do a run of that special generators.)