[crossfire] combat notes

Fri Dec 14 15:03:55 CST 2007

On Friday 14 December 2007
David Delbecq wrote:

> En l'instant précis du 13/12/07 21:11, ERACC Subscriptions s'exprimait
> en ces termes:
>
> > Perhaps a method could be used to have them gradually reset back to the
> > pristine state. Of course this would take a lot more resources on the
> > server as the maps could not be gradually resetting while swapped out.
> > Maybe to mitigate this a resetting daemon could run and load + check each
> > swapped map every X seconds (tunable by the server owner) and manage the
> > gradual reset then swap each map back out. This daemon would have a
> > referent of the original map and use some smart programmer's algorithm to
> > gradually clean it up and re-add the NPCs while no players are on it. If
> > a player comes to the partially redone map and messes it up again no big
> > deal as the daemon will use the same process to start gradually cleaning
> > the map again once the player leaves. (I am not the smart programmer that
> > can do this, but perhaps this idea can be a starting point for one of you
> > who is a smart programmer :) ).
>
> This is a *very* complicated way of handling things that is, imho, not
> worth the troubles. Imagine map X  with access to treasure Y, currently
> existing. Now you gradually reset map  X and map Y. Istead of 5 electric
> dragons guarding access to map Y, you only get 1. Easier to kill, you get
> thru and have direct access to map Y :/
>
> I think an easier way would be to add rules for *new* developped map so
> that they simply should themself repopulate. You just use generator to
> recreate progressively monsters. Maybe we could add to pixmap a special
> generator already configured for this (hidden, not disappearing, etc).
> Another solution would be to do some operation when swaping in a map,
> based on the time map was swapped out. (>50 minutes, just a reset, else
> for each 5 minutes it was out, do a run of that special generators.)

Hi David,

Glad you responded! :) I was simply tossing out an idea to get the discussion
begun on this problem. I think it eventually needs to be solved however it is
done. If my idea is unworkable or too complicated then finding a workable and
less complicated method is absolutely fine with me. After all, I already
stated I can't do it. ;)

Gene Alexander
--
ERA Computers & Consulting <http://www.eracc.com>
Preloaded computers - eComStation, Linux and Unix