[crossfire] Arch repository: layered art files?

David Delbecq tchize at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 07:41:44 CST 2007

Mark Wedel a écrit :

>> It's probably less work for them to download the xcf / edit / save as
>> png then open png in photoshop, extract elements, remakes some layers,
>> save both.
>>

>   Not sure I understand your explanation.  Wouldn't it be less work for them to
> just open the PNG in photoshop, and not deal with the xcf files at all?

It's less for to download gimp and install it to edit xcf, than open png
in photoshop and redo the layers.

>   However, there are also lots of cases where having the xcf image may really
> not be useful.  For example, if I take an image and it needs some cosmetic
> changes, I'm not likely to do that on a layer, I'm likely to do that on the base
> image itself.  All the xcf image would get the next developer is potential to
> undo the changes from within gimp (I think gimp saves the undo history, but not
> sure).  Is it really worthwhile then to have the xcf then?  I'd say probably not.

Of course, when there are no layers or alike, the png can be seen as
being it's own source. The notion of source is irrelevant when it come
to pixel-level work :) I don't want to see a svn full of pointless
sourcefile that are just another encoding of png (no layers)