[crossfire] desktop file: help request

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 03:07:01 CST 2007

Not for the first time, someone came to #crossfire today, requesting help
to install crossfire, and it turned out he already had it, but couldn't
find it.  It turns out we don't ship a .desktop file for the gtk-v2
client, and distros such as ubuntu and fedora won't modify the package to
add one.  There is such a file for the gtk client, but it refers to a
non-existent icon file.

So here's a very simple battle plan:

1: Write a proper .desktop file for gtk-v2; possibly use it as a model to
update the one for gtk too.  I already committed that file.

2: Hook up the build system to install this file to
$PREFIX/share/applications or whatever is the appropriate autotools magic.
I really don't have time to relearn what little autotools I used to know
to do this, so if someone who knows has a few minutes, please help here.

3: The icons should be the ones in pixmaps/*.png, but they are corrupted
-- probably need the right propset to be recognised as binaries.  Could
someone with the svn fu please do this one?

4 (optional): The aforementioned icons are about as pretty as a dog inside
out.  Seems they were drawn at 16 and scaled up.  So if someone with the
talent wants to draw new ones, be my guest.

5: Again, they need to be hooked up to the build system, so that one of
them (presumably the higher resolution) gets installed to
$PREFIX/share/pixmaps/crossfire-client.png

This is somewhat low priority, or I'd take the time to learn how to do it
myself; but it should be only a few minutes for someone who knows how.

cheers,
                                               Lalo Martins
personal:                              http://www.laranja.org/
technical:                    http://lalo.revisioncontrol.net/