[crossfire] desktop file: help request

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Feb 6 01:31:26 CST 2007

Lalo Martins wrote:
> Not for the first time, someone came to #crossfire today, requesting help
> to install crossfire, and it turned out he already had it, but couldn't
> find it.  It turns out we don't ship a .desktop file for the gtk-v2
> client, and distros such as ubuntu and fedora won't modify the package to
> add one.  There is such a file for the gtk client, but it refers to a
> non-existent icon file.
>
> So here's a very simple battle plan:
>
> 1: Write a proper .desktop file for gtk-v2; possibly use it as a model to
> update the one for gtk too.  I already committed that file.

  Looks good.  I wonder if we should include something to differentiate the gtk1
& 2 clients.

  On my system, I do have the icon with the gnome menus for the crossfire
client.  And all it says is 'Crossfire Client'.  If I hover my mouse over it, it
gives me a description, but still doesn't say anything about what client is.

  Often times on the channel, it is recommended someone use a particular client.
  As the things go now, other than the person running it, there really isn't
much client what client they would get.  Even calling it something like
'Crossfire Client (Gtk2)' would be much more useful.

> 2: Hook up the build system to install this file to
> $PREFIX/share/applications or whatever is the appropriate autotools magic.
> I really don't have time to relearn what little autotools I used to know
> to do this, so if someone who knows has a few minutes, please help here.

  This is in the RPM packaging.  The normal make install doesn't do anything
with the files.  The fact that for it to be of any use, it must be installed in
the global area, which has a pretty high probability of being outside of
whatever --prefix is set to is one reason.

  One problem is that I believe a uniquely named file is needed for each
program.  So as things are now, with both the gtk and gtk2 using the same name,
when installed, one will get overwritten.  The one in gtk2 should be probably be
renamed crossfire-client-gtk2.desktop - at least in this way, the name of the
desktop file does match the executable.

> 3: The icons should be the ones in pixmaps/*.png, but they are corrupted
> -- probably need the right propset to be recognised as binaries.  Could
> someone with the svn fu please do this one?

  This should now be fixed.

> 5: Again, they need to be hooked up to the build system, so that one of
> them (presumably the higher resolution) gets installed to
> $PREFIX/share/pixmaps/crossfire-client.png

  Is that to make them more easily available for users to find them, or
something else?