[crossfire] House sizes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Feb 13 23:49:06 CST 2007

Aaron Baugher wrote:
> Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> writes:

>>   Also, there is some limit on how big multipart images can be - I'd
>> have to look at the map protocol, but I think right now it is
>> somewhere in the 6-8 space range.  This could be fixed in various
>> ways.
>
> I don't know if there's a limit on tile size, but there's a 10000-byte
> limit on images sent to the server in MAX_IMAGE_SIZE.  If you raise
> that, you soon run into MAXSOCKSENDBUF, which is currently 12239
> bytes.  (I discovered those when I converted the Demon_Lord into a
> single image and it was considerably larger than that before
> compression.)  I was able to compress Demon_Lord, which is a 4x8
> image, to 7841 bytes, but it only has two colors, so I'm guessing a
> more colorful image would be larger.

  There are certainly different things that could be done.

  One would be to have a separate server/process that serves the data file -
that could be desirable for other reasons.

  I'd probably also be good to really force caching to be the standard also.
But this is also a different discussion.

> Also, do many players still play on an 11x11 map view?  Buildings that
> are 5x5 or so would make that map feel *very* crowded.  Maybe we could
> assume that by 2.0, all the clients would be capable of displaying a
> larger area than that?

  I don't know how many play on 11x11 (could look at the logs and figure it
out).  However, one discussion was to have the map size be closer to 19x19 and
not the max of 25x25 it is now.  19x19 is still good size, but start put down
houses that are 5 spaces big, you may not see a whole bunch.

  This could also lead to other areas - the town walls should appear higher,
trees perhaps bigger, etc.