[crossfire] House sizes

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Feb 14 00:15:06 CST 2007

Mark Wedel wrote:
> Aaron Baugher wrote:
>
>> Also, do many players still play on an 11x11 map view?  Buildings that
>> are 5x5 or so would make that map feel *very* crowded.  Maybe we could
>> assume that by 2.0, all the clients would be capable of displaying a
>> larger area than that?
>>

>   I don't know how many play on 11x11 (could look at the logs and figure it
> out).  However, one discussion was to have the map size be closer to 19x19 and
> not the max of 25x25 it is now.  19x19 is still good size, but start put down
> houses that are 5 spaces big, you may not see a whole bunch.

I don't really think it would be a problem, not seeing a whole bunch on
an outdoor map, provided that the town was still easily navigable.
Actually, I believe that larger buildings would make the buildings more
visually distinct at quicker glances, and thus would improve
navigability, counteracting the negative effects of only seeing a
smaller area.
In addition, perhaps a little fog-of-war-minimap overlaid in the client
or something along those lines could work nicely with it, but I
certainly don't think that'd be necessary for that scale to work.

>   This could also lead to other areas - the town walls should appear higher,
> trees perhaps bigger, etc.
Hm, nice idea there. That would also fit well with the things about
things visual height differing from the area they take on the ground.

Alex Schultz