[crossfire] classes & guilds

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Jul 4 09:21:54 CDT 2007

Juergen Kahnert wrote:
>> 1) skills operate the same, just harder to get levels in ones you are
>> not good at.
>>

> This will end up with all characters having the same skill level, just
> takes longer to get some of them.
>
>> 2) Skills operate different.  A person with the good version of
>> evocation at level 10 casts spells much more effectively than a person
>> with crappy evocation at level 10.  I'd think that in this model, the
>> exp gain should be the same - that is to say that the crappy version
>> needs the same exp total as the good version to get to level 10.
>>

> Could be made, it's a bit easier to implement.
Both of the above two points would work well in conjunction IMHO.

>> The original point of redoing skills/classes was the general complaint
>> that at higher levels, all classes look alike,
>>

> Not only higher levels.  This equality is reached pretty fast.

In my experience, this tends to occur between levels 30 to 50 normally,
but sometimes a little earlier and sometimes a little later depending on
the player's style and how those levels are gained.

>> becuase all classes/races have the same skills at high levels.  From
>> some of the discussions here, I'm not sure if everyone actually thinks
>> that is an issue,
>>

> It is an issue for sure.  If the high level human warrior decides to
> learn magic and will even outclass the fireborn sorcerer, because the
> human warrior is also able to wear rings and amulets AND magical armour
> to become a much more powerfull mage then the fireborn, than the system
> is extremely unbalanced.

Actually, it is an issue for sure, as at high levels indeed races and
classes get good at things with too similar difficulty, however your
example of this is quite flawed: Rings and amulets are often much more
powerful for spellcasting than armour or swords. Thus the fact that
fireborn can wear up to 4 rings and 2 amulets at a time far outweighs
their lack of armour and swords so far as spellcasting is concerned. Of
course, this advantage of Fireborns becomes smaller after hitting stat
caps (30) because then the additional rings/amulets can only help by
attunement or mana regeneration bonuses.

> What's the point of playing a magical creature like fireborn, if every
> barbarian is able to get the power up with items to the same value (30)
> of a fireborn?  Out of the fireborn description:
>
>     Their insubstantial nature makes them both
>     very weak and very quick.  Their minds are
>     agile, and they are able to commune well with
>     the gods. However, their area of excellence
>     is magic. They spellcast more powerfully than
>     any other race, and mana flows into them
>     readily. They can even cast cold spells with
>     devastating effectiveness.  They all know a
>     basic fire spell.
>
> I can't confirm that.  Fireborns are probably the weakest mages of all.

Well actually, though classes are indistinct often, Fireborn are not at
all. Yes every barbarian could get 30 power as well, but in this
particular case: the amount of items it would take to achieve that would
be rather high. Also, Fireborn DO have a unique bonus besides stats:
they do have an intrinsic mana regeneration bonus that is independent of
stats, and while it well known it does help Fireborn notably.

>> and instead of fixing the classes/skills, the idea is to enforce/add
>> differentation by guilds and special perks.
>>

> Both will do the job.

Agreed

Alex Schultz