[crossfire] Players in transports

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jul 4 19:18:43 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Should the players in a transport appear in the 'maps' output? Should they
> count as players in the map the transport is in?

  yes and yes.

> Currently they don't, so there is an issue: potentially a map could be reset
> with a player in a transport on it.
>
> So either players in transport should count as players on a map, or the reset
> test should include players in transports :)
>

> I think both options are fun, btw: not counting players let them "hide"
> somewhere, counting ensures the count on the map is correct.

  But that wasn't really the point of transports - it wasn't a mechanism for
them to hide.

  But the output of the maps command is really an out of game command (if one
were to think of the people living the the crossfire world, they don't really
have any command like that, so normally would not know where people are). So
what exactly it should and should not show could be a matter of debate.

  That said, someone riding a horse should hardly be hidden.  Passengers on a
ship, perhaps yes.  OTOH, in the later case, what does 'who' say?  If it just
points them back at the map, then to some extent, they are not really hidden -
it just depends on what command you use, and IMO, both commands should say the
same thing.

  A more relevant question may be what to do about hidden wizes.  Should they
show up in the maps command?  Probably not, but for consistency perhaps, the
map->players count has to accurately reflect them (Swapping out a map with a wiz
on it would be bad).