[crossfire] Max State Cap (was: Re: classes & guilds)

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jul 4 19:27:13 CDT 2007

Alex Schultz wrote:
> Juergen Kahnert wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 08:01:12AM -0600, Alex Schultz wrote:
>>
>>> One quick note about this, is that removing that hard limit isn't so
>>> simple as "just" removing it.
>>>
>> I didn't looked into the code.  I just wrote down what I think will
>> improve gameplay.
>>
>> I wouldn't consider this hard limit as critical which needs to be fixed
>> asap.  Anyway, it can't be wrong to put some more priorities on gameplay
>> instead of "what's easy to code". ;)
> Yep, just thought I'd make note of what else would be affected by it and
> would need tweaking as to make sure that won't be forgotten. I agree it
> would help gameplay, though not something with asap priority indeed :)

  changing the cap isn't that hard.

  However, this has been done before - cap raised from 25 to 30, with a lot of
the same discussions (too easy for any class to max out stats, etc).

  the basic problem is that unless the cap is really high (50+), it may not make
much difference if better and better items show up.  Perhaps related to that is
a change that raised the max level - when that happened, then it made sense for
those really high level quests to give out some good items that balanced with
it, so you now got better items, and so getting that max stat became easier again.

  This can not be taken one piece at a time - the entire character life cycle
needs to be examined, in particular:

- Is there a max level in the game?  If so, what should be it?
- Is there a max stat value in the game?  If so, what should it be?
- What should be the highest stat adjustment any single item in the game should
give out?

  Last question is somewhat important.  IF the answer is say 5, then you
probably at minimum need the stat cap at least 25 higher than max natural stats
(get 4 rings of that and it is 20.  Or 2 rings, sword, amulet, etc).