[crossfire] classes & guilds

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Thu Jul 5 05:53:03 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 06:41:47AM +0000, Lalo Martins wrote:
> Also spracht Mark Wedel (Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:29:55 -0700):
> It's good to have different perspectives.

Of course, it is. :)

> I'm clearly going as a pen-and- paper author, shooting for both flavor
> and game balance.

That's the point.  Crossfire is not a pen-and-paper RPG, it's a computer
game.  There is no need to simplify calculations, because they're made by
the computer, not the player with the pen and paper...

A level cap is fine for pen-and-paper based games, also class restrictions
like mages are not allowed to wear heavy armour, ...

But CF is computer based.  There is no need to take care for easy pen and
paper realisations.

Use the computer instead of reimplementing pen-and-paper systems.

> Juergen is coming from some other perspective which I won't try to guess.

Just make a better [computer based] role playing game out of crossfire.
That's why we should put new features up for discussion instead of quickly
implemting easy ones.

> And since the code needs to get written eventually, of course it's useful
> to have a code perspective ;-)

It shouldn't be hard to implement the capability values.  It's maybe more
time consuming to talk about it than to implement it.  But it's important to
talk about it instead of adding an unbalanced feature.

> > - I might put this as a part of phase 2 - I don't see that this is
> > actually a requirement related to any of the changes above.  It would
> > seem to be a lot of work, and I'm not sure I'd put it at the same
> > priority as redoing the skills/classes/races themselves.
>
> In fact, for me, this is the *point* of all the changes above :-)

Same for me.  I would even go a step further than Lalo, and reorganize the
world map to get regions for same level.  And if this means we'll have only
a beginner region which needs to be extended later on, fine, call it beta
testing for CF2.

If you ask me, everybody needs to start a new character (or more than one)
for CF2.  The more player are able to test the new beginning region, the
better it will be.

After we finished the next region, all characters could explore this one.
And so on.  As I said, beta testing for CF2.

Yes, it doesn't only sound like lots of work, it is.  If the result is an
addictive game from the beginning, than it's worth doing the work.  And
than we may find some people who likes to make better graphics. ;)

    Jürgen