[crossfire] Priority feature list

Juha Jäykkä juolja at utu.fi
Tue Jul 17 13:51:49 CDT 2007

> > First, most quest-reward and artefact items are weapons. This makes
> Scripting, scripting. Of course need to design quests for that
> particular reward :)

Cannot we alter some existing ones as a first aid? Inventing dozens of
new quests is quite a big task.

> There will always be a maximum level. It can be 112, it can be 200, it
> can be 1000000. But there will always be a maximum :)

Using arbitrary precision arithmetic library (like GNU MP) makes that
limit limited only by the amount of digits the server can store in its
virtual memory - which will probably be growing faster than any character
gains levels, so in practice there would be no limit. Even a less radical
method of using 64- or 128-bit integers to represent experience, I think
we could increase the "bitness" of the experience-variable faster than
anyone can consume the bits.

Anyway, this is not what I was after. I was after the fact that there is
a hard-coded value "MAX_LEVEL" (or MAX_64BIT_INTEGER, for that matter)
used in the code. Is *this* doable? In that case increasing the maximum
level would be very easy, no matter how it is represented.

> My opinion: let's keep things as they are for level, but rebalance how
> you gain experience, maybe.

That's otherwise ok, but what about old characters at 110th level? At the
least we'd need to give them some new levels to achieve.

Something needs to be done about generators, however. It is currently too
easy to sit around, letting a generator spawn a map full of monsters,
kill them but not the generator and repeat until 110th level. This is
particularly easy in Hell, where the monsters give zillion XP, there is a
grate behind which to recuperate and numerous generators spawning more
and more cannon fodder.

> > Fourth, the spell system needs rebalancing. First, meteor swarm and
> That's part of the whole game balance.

Isn't it all? =) I thought we were discussing specific points of concern
with regards to whole game balance.

> My opinion is to totally rebalance combat / spells / speed. Reduce
> speed, add more "strategic" elements to the game. Make it so you can
> actually use rune/trap writing to lure monsters, and so on.

That's fine. It is also huge task... sounds like a challenge, I'm on!
BTW, runes are essentially single-shot devices, so they might well be
significantly more powerful than currently (or, rather, more powerful
*compared to other spells* than currently). Traps are more difficult
because they can contain arbitrary spells. But what works for traps works
for runes as well - and runes still need more power imho.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|