[crossfire] Priority feature list

Juha Jäykkä juolja at utu.fi
Thu Jul 19 07:34:36 CDT 2007

>   I think the issue is more to reduce weapon speed, and less so actual
> speed. High level characters have weapon speed 5+ - that really isn't

Ah, what I meant was to reduce damage dealt per unit of *real* time, so
this is exactly the situation you described: changing weapon speed by *A
and tick length by /A gives no change in damage dealt per unit of real
time. The problem was "dying before able to react" and that refers to
real time since it is the player who needs to react, not the character.
Thus reducing weapon speed would be an excellent solution. That would
immediately mean also that spells become relatively more effective. There
may even be no need to alter them at all (at least not from "they are
useless because sword/karate is so much faster" -perspective).

> think charactes can get speed 2.0+ without a huge amount of difficulty,
> and that causes problems.  Except in rare circumstances, speeds above
> 1.0 (which means 1 move/tick) shouldn't really be allowed.

Well, outrunning magic missiles, speedballs etc is not difficult, but I
think it should be, so I agree: max speed down (or spell speed up).

>   Hopping between exits is a problem - it could be changed so that
> monsters follow the players, but there will always be cases where even
> that isn't foolproof (monster too big to fit in previous map).  More
> use of tiled maps would sort of fix this problem, but at some point,
> map hopping can be seen as a tactic (at higher levels, things like word
> of recall and town portal could effectively allow the same thing, and I
> think most people would agree that monsters shouldn't be able to follow

I'd prefer tiling since that would be "natural" - exits as they currently
work are more or less teleporters. This brings with it a myriad of game
world -questions: why are there so many teleporters around? Who created
them? Why? Etc.

More later, Jürgen made a nice summary - I'll reply to that.

-Juha

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja at utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|