[crossfire] gtk-v2 on MS Windows

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jul 21 03:29:38 CDT 2007

Hello.

> It was really great : slightly faster and cooler than slow (on Windows) gtk
> 1 client.

Note that, if you're using the "official" Windows client, it is the GTK1
client built with GTK2.

> I recently try to use again crossfire and was quite surprised that this
> client is still not on "officials ones", so I did try to compile actual svn
> sources and it didn't compile because a new use of "scandir" function that
> is not present in MinGW. I did wrote a little substitute for this with more
> standard unices functions that are present in MinGW (opendir / readdir
> ...). I did bracket this substitute with "#ifdef WIN32" but that should
> works on unix os without scandir in the same way.
>
> --> see that patch in attachment file.
>
> Now it do compile well and run but is it still a continued client ?

As Mark said, Windows support isn't always up to date and lacking.
I am (was?) the "official" Windows maintainer, and I've always built
everything through MS's Visual Studio.
Building the GTK1 client is a real mess, a weird process where you rename
randomly files, copy and change names, change functions, and weird things
like that.
Therefore I didn't really want to try to build the GTK2 client. I also feel,
maybe because I don't use it, that it isn't as advanced as the GTK1 client -
from my point of view, GTK1 is still the official client ^_-

Thanks for the patch, and the remainder :)

As a note, I think patches are better on the Sourceforge tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=13833&atid=313833 instead of buried
in the forum (tracker makes it easier to follow things)

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref
de l'aléatoire !]