[crossfire] "the right way to play" (was: xp gaining)

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Sat Jul 28 05:06:33 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 06:20:54PM -0500, Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> Can you really force people to play "right" or is there even a "right"
> way to play?

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to play.  Just because some people
think that having distinctions between classes and others like to have
uniform characters doesn't mean the one is right and the other one
wrong.  It's simply a matter of preference.

It's up to the developers to make the game they like and up to the
players to play the game they like most.

> I don't understand what is so fun about screaming up through levels
> anyway when there is so much to just discover and play in bigworld.

Just because you like to travel around the world doesn't mean that you
have to enforce everybody to explore the world. ;)

Other players like to level up their characters in a single map...

There are also players who likes to see the character jumping into a
fountain.  Fun is what brings light into life.

> There is a pile of fun in Crossfire that people just don't even try to
> get out of it I think.

They simply don't know about these things and there is no guide to lead
them.

> When asked how many maps were played, the answer is none...

Yes, they don't know where to go.  Check out the "reorganization the
entire world" thread.  It's about a way to offer players to explore the
world and find out new things without being one of the game developers.

Having a storyline for each region will lead the players to all
interesting places.

> How about working on stuff that actually helps players discover a new
> way of playing... like scoring based on % of maps solved, etc.

Reorganizing the world would help a lot.  Adding new hiscores for
different part of the games will satisfy those who like to level up
their characters even on a single map by inscribing thousands of
scrolls...

And having a hiscore with "<number> of quests solved" will [maybe]
encourage those map campers to explore the world.

> I think there are a lot easier, if more creative, ways to fix
> crossfire than beating level caps to death.

Feel free to tell us more about your ideas. ;)

> Besides, if the devs are all high level players...

Yes, and I think some of them don't care about low level characters.
But I think most of the fun is on lower levels.  That's why I would like
to focus on this part first, before thinking about caps;  especially if
all have to start over with level 1 characters.

Who of the high level developers tried to level up summoning (without xp
sharing via party!) with a first level character?  It's a pain!  Don't
forget the newbies.

And don't waste your time by thinking about the right way to play.
Think about game rules which allows most of the players to have fun.
And for the other players, well, they're free to change the game.  You
can't satisfy all at the same time.

And don't hesitate to add rules which won't hurt.  If most don't care
about such a rule and a few like it, hey, what's the problem adding it?
This will simply increase the number of satisfied players. :)

    Jürgen