[crossfire] Party Support

Bernd Edler edler at heydernet.de
Mon Jul 30 21:07:26 CDT 2007

My 2 cents:

1. Slowing down the speed to a human manageable one.
    This will improve both single and party play.
    If the PCs were not buzzing about like a hornet on crack,
    the server would have time to calculate whether party members
    are in visible (range) for party spells / party XP.

2. Harmonizing the HP / damage ratio between players and monsters.
    Would not only make a friendly-fire > 0 survivable, it could
    make pvp more interesting.

3. Targeting Friends:
    As aiming with the mouse is too slow, we could make the typical
    party spell targeting all (visible) party members in the spell's
    range.
    e.g. heal all : 2* mana (heal) range 10
    protect all from fire, etc
    When do I need to recast my protection/pump spell?
    Answer: When it wears out on me, as we all got it at the same time.
    Some spells might be allowed to work through walls.

4. Party Info:
    If the spells need visible range, we could do without extra
    party info screen. We just use a health bar on the PC icon
    like rts games do.
    These could be visible for monsters too, maybe requiring some
    level of lore or probe spell.

5. Targeting Monsters:
                     a,b,c : players  1,2,3  : Monsters
     a  bc12 3

     Simply make it so, that arrows,fireballs etc. from
     player a will go through b and c and hit monster 1.
     No need to fumble with the mouse here either.
     That's how other games like eg. diablo do it, and has nothing
     to do with 2d vs. 3d or isometric vs. square.
     Same goes for the monster: 3 could hit c with arrows/spells.
     But I'd still restrict the monsters to 8 directions just like
     the players.
     I would further like it, if player b could hit monster 1
     with melee when using a polearm.
     (Same goes for monsters:  fear the pikemen :)