[crossfire] Vertical map-tiling

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:01:13 CDT 2007

Also spracht Nicolas Weeger (Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:30:27 +0200):
> Hello.
>
> I remember, quite a long time ago, discussion about "vertical"
> map-tiling, that is from eg the top of a tower see the ground below,
> belonging to another map.
> Anyone remember that, and how it was implemented?
>
> I think it was like the 4 other map tiles, except used in a different
> way.

That was the idea.  It was never implemented, of course.

Points I remember:

- Any "nothing" spaces in the upper map, should display the lower map
instead.  Maybe we'd want some visual clue that the space is at a lower
level, though.

- And of course walking into one of those sends you down.

- There should be an optional "offset", for the case the upper map is
smaller?  I'm not too keen on this one, better make the maps the same
size and use "nothing" spaces as above.

Also, this wasn't discussed before, but I'd like the map format to store
a height between each vertically-tiled map and the one below it;
preferably both.  This way if we later come up with an use for that, we
don't need to hurry back filling up all maps with values :-P

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
personal:                    http://lalo.hystericalraisins.net/