[crossfire] Vertical map-tiling

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sun Jun 3 20:11:47 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I remember, quite a long time ago, discussion about "vertical" map-tiling,
> that is from eg the top of a tower see the ground below, belonging to another
> map.
> Anyone remember that, and how it was implemented?
>
> I think it was like the 4 other map tiles, except used in a different way.
>

> Nicolas

Hmm, I'm not sure how this could be implemented, but this reminds me of
an idea I had for tiling which could do this easily and much much more.
Basically, the idea I had, was making "see-through portals" of sorts.
They would be objects placed on a map, and they would 'open' to another
map. They would work just like exits except one could see through them
(they look like what's on the tile they teleport to) and
spells/monsters/etc. would also be teleported while preserving their
movement.
These "portals" (which need a better name), could be placed on a map
however one wishes, to create ANY pattern of custom 'tiling'. It's also
plausible for a Gridarta to be made to automatically adjust to
coordinates of each object and insert them to fill areas easily.

The more I think about this, the easier it seems to me it would be to
make, and it would allow this "vertical" map-tiling as well as so much more.

Alex Schultz