[crossfire] Bracers

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jun 4 16:51:28 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Related to bug
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1730874&group_id=13833&atid=113833
> about bracers not working correctly, the issue is simple: fix_object() treats
> bracers differently than a girdle. Bracers are actually considered like a
> FORCE, and has specific treatment.
>
> Is there somewhere a document describing why this is the case?
> More generally, is there a document explaining why some items are fixed in a
> certain way, and others in another? :)
>
> (also, wondering about fix_living, sure sounds messy with all those cases...)

  Probably not.  This code I think goes way way back, where what certain items
could grant was based on type.

  A lot of crossfire seemed to follow the AD&D model, where bracers only granted
a few specific things, so may not have been an issue.

  The trunk should probably be changed so that all equipable are treated the
same way - same attributes grant same bonuses, etc.  Some of this may require
some extra work (IIRC, exp is used for some objects to denote bonus speed - a
bonus_speed attribute should really be used instead).

  That not only simplifies the code, but also makes it easier for map makers to
understand.