[crossfire] The future of Crossfire

mail-lists+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net mail-lists+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net
Thu Jun 7 21:42:52 CDT 2007

Where to start, let's see...

I suppose it's helpful for context if I start with how I think of Crossfire
already, since the premise is that it should improve without changing what it
is now.  Of course, if I am completely off-base on this, at least you'll know
where I'm coming from here...

I think of Crossfire as a mash-up of a tile-based, semi-real-time strategy RPG
with a "Gauntlet"-like style of play, and possessing multiplayer capability.
(I should add that I think this is something that makes Crossfire relatively
unique, not a bad thing.)

I say "semi-real-time" because although it is technically "real-time", the
tile-based movement makes it feel almost like a turn-based game, though the
turns are REALLY short (I think slowing the game down a bit would help
enhance this effect, and make it a lot easier for the play to be more
tactical/strategic than it is now.)

I like the gigantic map and the already-large variety of things in the world,
and adding more will only make it better in my opinion.  One of the joys of
playing Crossfire, in my opinion, is just exploring and finding new things.

The only problem with the existing map that has come up a few times in one
form or another is that it's occasionally difficult to find a "Bed to
Reality".  Adding a few more Inns or their equivalent around the countryside
(and making sure they're not too hard to find in big cities) would be helpful
for that.

Of course, adding more stuff brings up the problem of graphics (and sounds).
It occurs to me that there are a number of other open-source games that
might not mind people making use of their graphics and such provided they're
given proper credit.  Maybe some of the graphics from, say, Wesnoth could
be adapted for Crossfire use, for example?

As far as the races, it seems like there's a definite desire for less
redundancy and wider variety.  The new "Dragon" race is about as different
from the others as possible with it's special development mechanics, and it
seems to be very popular for it.  Seems like more "special stuff" for any of
the other races that are kept or added would be a winner.

Now, as far as adding drastically different things like that - isn't there a
fair amount of hard-coding to support the Dragon stuff right now?  How hard
would it be to move some of the more radical differences out to things that
can be implemented in arch's?

More "plain language" explanations of how things work and how to make new
things would be helpful too.  I'm planning to try to contribute a bit in that
respect while I (hopefully) have some time over the next few weeks.

As far as "classes" and initial character generation:

On Friday 01 June 2007, Mark Wedel wrote:
[...]
> - Races/classes:  Would be nice for more of these to have longer term
> affects than they do right now - we've discussed that in the past.  Some
> could just be certain objects usable only by certain classes (helm only
> usable by wizards, no one else, etc), some could be more special maps
> (fighter guild hall only allowed to fighters), etc.

Personally, I'd still prefer to see the "classes" be LESS of an issue, at
least in terms of the "hall of selection" effects.  I think a lot of
the "only members of the X profession/class can enter/use this item/whatever"
things ought to work like the dieties do now - you join one after you start,
if you want, and then are hit with the restrictions (and given the benefits).
Then, on the one hand, you could either greatly reduce or even completely
eliminate the "class" choice in the "hall of selection".

THAT would in turn open up the ability to have a HUGE variety of effective
classes without annoying people - since you find and join them later, you
don't end up having to pick from 50 different selections right at the
beginning.

That also opens up some possibilities for plotlines - what happens when
someone joins the assassin's guild and then changes their mind and joins some
other class organization?  From then on, they're hunted by NPC members of the
assassin's guild...("But if you deliver a ransom of 10000 platinum to
so-and-so in such-and-such a room, you will be forgiven.")

I seem to recall that at one point the idea of having the Hall of Selection be
like a shop was discussed.  You give the starting character so much money,
and they go around "buying" starting skills, abilities, and items (whether
they get to keep some or all of what they don't spend can be figured out
later...)

I do like the idea of having the "class" modify how easy or hard it is to
learn certain skills though.  Would that just be a plus X% or minus X%
modifier granted by class membership?

Just a couple of thoughts for discussion...