[crossfire] The future of Crossfire

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Thu Jun 7 22:19:21 CDT 2007

mail-lists+cfdev at dogphilosophy.net wrote:
> On Friday 01 June 2007, Mark Wedel wrote:
> [...]
>
>> - Races/classes:  Would be nice for more of these to have longer term
>> affects than they do right now - we've discussed that in the past.  Some
>> could just be certain objects usable only by certain classes (helm only
>> usable by wizards, no one else, etc), some could be more special maps
>> (fighter guild hall only allowed to fighters), etc.
>>

> Personally, I'd still prefer to see the "classes" be LESS of an issue, at
> least in terms of the "hall of selection" effects.  I think a lot of
> the "only members of the X profession/class can enter/use this item/whatever"
> things ought to work like the dieties do now - you join one after you start,
> if you want, and then are hit with the restrictions (and given the benefits).
> Then, on the one hand, you could either greatly reduce or even completely
> eliminate the "class" choice in the "hall of selection".

Actually, there is nothing in Crossfire that is like "only members of
the X profession/class can enter/use this item/whatever"...
At the lower level, things currently are a bit restrictive, however it
doesn't take long at all (level 30 at most?) for a character to
accumulate all useful skills via skill scrolls which can grant nearly
any skill. I believe the only exceptions to this condition of "Anybody
can get any skill easily" are clawing (racial), flame touch (racial),
and meditation (monk). The issue is, at low levels, things are indeed a
bit restrictive in terms of class, HOWEVER at mid to highish levels
class distinctions completely vanish (unless one is a monk with
meditation and no weapons).
The issue is that classes do mean nothing beyond level 30 or so, and
while this in itself isn't a problem, it's a large inconsistency between
higher and lower levels, and more importantly it creates a problem where
high level players become so generic and indistinguishable from eachother.
What is needed, is *something* which promotes diversity among higher
level players, and making class distinctions firmer at higher levels is
often seen as one way to achieve this. Alternative ideas for promoting
diversity among high level players would be just as good in my opinion
though. :)

Alex Schultz