[crossfire] Summary, was Re: The future of Crossfire

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jun 9 02:31:41 CDT 2007

>   The lore idea, and discussion on it, I thought were really good.  It was
> just something never finished - lots of things like that in crossfire.

Yes, which is why we need a goal to reach, so we can focus on it.

> > Agreed. We need client [sound] support, though.
>
>   Yes, I was planning on looking at that soon.

I know other people are looking at that, so maybe take care to not duplicate
work :)

>   But in some cases, it isn't clear what the correct behavior is - in
> those, we should just document something (x behaves like ...) vs trying to
> write in exceptions, etc.  I'm personally in favor of clean code with clear
> meanings vs code with lots of exceptions, questions on how it should
> operate, etc.

Yes, that's also what I meant by documenting. Behaviour doesn't seem to make
sense? Then decide it, and write that down. Example is "abilities", they
apparently don't work, no documentation - so what to do?

>   The problem is that the TODO list is so long that it sometimes becomes
> hard to figure out what should really be tackled next.  I'll note that the
> TODO list on the wiki (http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev_todo_new)
> often seems more code oriented, where a lot of the changes we're discussing
> here are more map level level.  In fact, of the list I did, arguably very
> few of those require code changes - many might just be archetype and map
> changes.

Yes, we got to many todo lists. But then we could have 2 different ones: code,
and content.

> > As usual, we also depend on people actually doing the code/work at some
> > point :)
>
>   Right - and the problem there is that whenever people are volunteers,
> they'll work on what they want to work on, and not necessarily lists like
> this that we put together.

Well, currently there aren't many people with SVN access active, and the ones
I know support the cleaning and also think content is nice to have.
So maybe we could try to concentrate on that, maybe add some new features
required to create fun content, but not start mega refactoring work just for
its sake.

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref