[crossfire] Protocol version

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jun 9 17:22:58 CDT 2007

>   My personal thought is that the trunk gets bumped to 2000.  All
> additional changes in protocol between now and 2.0 release (or near by)
> result in changing of the protocol version, and having the client/server
> both require they have the same version (note that clients are of course
> free to lie about what version they support, so 1.x clients could claim to
> be 2000).

Well, to have "nice" things, what about: we set protocol version to 1900 for
now, and when we release 2.0 we fix to 2000.
This gives us 100 revisions to fix things (including setup commands), which
should be reaaaaaaaaaaally enough.
IMO having 2.0 <=> 2000 is simple to check, and is symbolically strong :)

Of course, after 2.0 release, we'll go back to small increments when needed,
or setup commands.

Agreed on the rest, but I'd keep the framework for those additional things
(eg: I kept "mapmode" even if it is always map2cmd, so that when we need it
again, well, it's there).

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref