[crossfire] Protocol version

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jun 9 16:42:47 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> (this only concerns trunk)
>
> I bumped server-side s->c version to 1028 (was 1027), to denote massive
> removal.
>
> But it was suggested on the list to change s->c et c->s versions to 2000, to
> have a nice version. This would enable to remove some non required commands,
> or commands that are always on (smoothing info, for instance)
>
> Also, support for old servers could probably be phased out - change both
> branch and trunk to recognize 2000 version, and in trunk server remove
> support for pre 2000 clients. Assuming we do another version of branch
> client, and enough time (6 months) elapses before we release 2.0, it would
> make sense (given current plans, it seems 2.0 is many months, even years,
> ago, so well...)

  My personal thought is that the trunk gets bumped to 2000.  All additional
changes in protocol between now and 2.0 release (or near by) result in changing
of the protocol version, and having the client/server both require they have the
same version (note that clients are of course free to lie about what version
they support, so 1.x clients could claim to be 2000).

  In this way, we can make adjustments to the protocol, etc, without having to
put in new setup commands (for example, if we come up with some new sound
scheme, we bump up the protocol version instead of the client having to do
something like newsoundsystem 1 setup).

  I'd also say that all the setup stuff that is protocol version related should
be assumed to be true for 2000 version, and that get removed from the server and
client. (trunk side only of course).  There are still some setup commands that
are needed - related to map size, I think if the client wants sound info at all,
etc, but there are a fair number related to protocol I think.