[crossfire] The future of Crossfire

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Jun 10 04:42:12 CDT 2007

> Check out FIXME_name. They play with only two spells and two prayers
> (magic bullet, probe, Cause Light Wounds and Minor Healing since years)
> but they have more players than CF.

I assume you mean Daimonin? It's actually a Crossfire fork, for your info :)
(many years ago).
Apart that, I don't play it, so I can't comment.

> The people like good graphics. The gameplay / deep isn't that important
> against a pretty look and feel.

I think both are important.

> You could focus on gameplay, maps and features without improving the
> garphics. Ok, will be a nice game for a few players who also like to
> play [for example] nethack. And it will be fun for the developers, too. :)
>
> But you won't reach much players.

If you got ideas to find graphists, feel free to express yourself :)
IMO, a way to attract graphists is either other graphists, or good gameplay.

> That's the point. A 3D game is much more work than 2D - in any cases.
> And you have to make a decision, which way you like to go.
>
> 1) Stay with 2D and improve gameplay / deep.
>
> 2) 3D game, lot of coding work, and also a lot of design work, new maps
>    are harder to create, ...

I think Crossfire is a 2D game, with a weird perspective :)
I'd rather see nice 2D graphism, and maybe an isometric 3d faceset - but we
need graphists :)

> So you like to stay on a 2D map? For 3D you need to change every map
> anyway...
>
> If you ask me, I would say the first question of all should be: Stay
> with 2D or implement 3D?

See previous comment :)

Nicolas
--