[crossfire] map design guideline

Juergen Kahnert crossfire at kahnert.de
Thu Jun 14 12:40:07 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 07:25:20PM +0200, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> > Anyway, I would say it should be part of policy. Maybe with coding
> > support to clear the quest map if someone enters who already solved
> > the quest. It's already a confession to the game that every player
> > is able to do the same quest. How often needs someone to be rescued,
> > or a chief be killed, ...?
>
> But then you run into content issues. That would require way much
> content that we had if only one player could do a quest (unless I'm
> wrong, that's what you are suggesting?).

It looks like I didn't expressed myself clear enough.

Every player should be able to do every quest exactly once. It's a multi
player computer game, so we can't deny other player for example to do
the pup_land quest because another player already made it.

But after you made it, it's over for this character. Let it at least be
logical for a single player.

> That would also cause space issues - all finished dungeons still
> exist, in their "completed" form, taking space (granted, we have quite
> free space for now).

That's not what I meant. For example you solve a quest where you have to
slay a dragon and rescue a princess. If you leave the dragon hoard
behind and you enter the dragon cave a second time (after map reset),
you shouldn't find treasure nor the princess there. The left behind
treasure vanished, because others took it after the dragon is dead and
the princess, because you rescued her.

This could be done by a new function which removes all the stuff if you
enter again, or by a second [empty] map, or by teleporters (not the best
choice because the player is able to charm the monsters "outside" of the
map) or whatever.

> > Not really, after you gave the quest item to the one who has sent
> > you, you finished the quest.
>
> > Or if nobody has sent you, after you got the quest item. There are
> > ways to define the end of a quest. I don't think this would be a
> > problem at all.
>
> Yes, but workarounds are always possible - create a junk char to get
> the item instead of your regular char, and so on.

Sure, but I like the idea of a storyline. You have to finish a quest
before you're able to start the next one, like it's made in the scorn
castle. If those quests just let you finish them once, it would be even
better. :)

And you can always set up a trap. If you take the quest item, you're hit
by a trap which causes enough damage to kill a junk character but not
the high level hero who really solved the quest.

Whatever, the storyline option would prevent players to abuse it to
often. Or let all players get the "quest solved flag" as soon as they
touch the quest item. :p

There are ways to prevent such things.

And once again. This doesn't mean that every map has to be part of a
quest. Random maps for treasure and levels are still welcome.

Regards,

    Jürgen