[crossfire] map design guideline

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Jun 15 12:34:45 CDT 2007

> It looks like I didn't expressed myself clear enough.
>
> Every player should be able to do every quest exactly once. It's a multi
> player computer game, so we can't deny other player for example to do
> the pup_land quest because another player already made it.
>
> But after you made it, it's over for this character. Let it at least be
> logical for a single player.

Ok, I indeed didn't get what you meant :)

> That's not what I meant. For example you solve a quest where you have to
> slay a dragon and rescue a princess. If you leave the dragon hoard
> behind and you enter the dragon cave a second time (after map reset),
> you shouldn't find treasure nor the princess there. The left behind
> treasure vanished, because others took it after the dragon is dead and
> the princess, because you rescued her.

But then how do you handle parties?
Player 'dragon' does the quest, then later parties with 'dwarf' who didn't yet
do the quest - what happens?

> This could be done by a new function which removes all the stuff if you
> enter again, or by a second [empty] map, or by teleporters (not the best
> choice because the player is able to charm the monsters "outside" of the
> map) or whatever.

Code, that's boring, let's first define what we want ;)

> Sure, but I like the idea of a storyline. You have to finish a quest
> before you're able to start the next one, like it's made in the scorn
> castle. If those quests just let you finish them once, it would be even
> better. :)

Having "chained" quests, like Scorn royalty, sure.
Ideally, we'd have many many quests, influencing each other - if you get back
some item for someone, you can't do another quest requiring you to have
destroyed the item.
But this requires much content writing :)

> And once again. This doesn't mean that every map has to be part of a
> quest. Random maps for treasure and levels are still welcome.

*nods*

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref