[crossfire] reorganizing the entire world

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Jun 15 12:29:39 CDT 2007

Hello.

> What do you think about reorganizing the entire world to get regions
> for characters in a range of levels?
>
> For example the starting region has maps for character with level 1-5,
> than move over to a region for level 6-10 character, ...

Note that, I think, Brest is already intended for higher level characters
(getting there from Scorn or Navar is quite dangerous).

What about giving hints as to the map level of a quest?
I don't mean to have a char at the entrance saying 'this is for levels 50+
only', but things more subtle - "it is said the entrance to the castle is
guarded by powerful cyclops, but no one ever came back to confirm this
rumour". If you know you can kill cyclops, then you can try.

Also, this should be considered in the context of "speed rethinking" that was
mentioned on the list. If we change the overall combat speed, this issue
becomes slightly less important - enter a map, spot the big red dragon, flee
before it fries you.

The issues you point for Lorkas about starting with mice and such is really a
map design one, which can and should be fixed for the reasons you give :)

I'm not totally sure about forcing to solve quests to go in another region.
Arguably, the fun is to be able to visit for instance Lake Country, even if
you can't do the quests - it would be strange to be told "you're not powerful
enough for that", or "you need to solve something", no?
This of course doesn't preclude for instance having a town in which you can
only enter after doing some quest (think an isolated town, or a hidden town,
something like that).

IMO, we should write all those ideas (I mean maps, speed, quests, ...) on the
wiki (I'll do that when I have some time if no one does it before), mix'em,
comment'em, think about'em. Seeing the "bigger" picture is always nice :)
Having a global concept before implementing is better :)

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions, btw ^_-

Nicolas
--
http://nicolas.weeger.free.fr [Petit site d'images, de textes, de code, bref
de l'aléatoire !]