[crossfire] New Quests

Juergen Kahnert Juergen at Kahnert.de
Mon Jun 25 11:48:38 CDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:18:40PM +0000, David Safir wrote:
> Hi, I'm MoonWhisper, a fairly long time player of crossfire, slowly
> working my way into the highscores

every player having xp who saved the character is in the highscore list:

    'hiscore MoonWhisper

There are only 26 player listed with the "hiscore" command without
parameters. And it's part of every highscore, that there are only n
player in the first n places. ;-)

I don't think that the highscore is a central part of the game. It's not
even important because you won't gain any advantages out of being on
place x instead of y.

> I became concerned of something. The new maps.

It's not only the new maps, there is a lot of unbalanced stuff. :(

That's the real problem. Did you read the "map design guideline" and the
"reorganizing the entire world" thread? And are you willing to help to
fix this?

> A couple players who have only been around for a couple months worl
> their way into the highscores easaly,

It's always the same. If a high level player giving a low level player a
rod of banishment lvl 110, this low level player will jump from level 1
to level 50 within 2 hours.

Or a newbie asking for "leveling help in ...". You can play for weeks to
reach level 20 and this dude will get the same xp within minutes...

> it makes the game obsolete,

I don't get it. If the game is fun, great. If the game is boring, stop
playing it. If you play for highscore, do the same the others are doing
to get a high score.

> it seems the newer the map is the less the rest of the game matters.

Maybe, I didn't checked the history of all the maps. But anyway, the
entire world needs changes. Feel free to help.

> The new quests have nothing to them, nothing to figure out, you just
> kill the big monster and the treasure is yours.

Most of the maps are like this; regardless of the age of the map.

Re: valriel girdle

Oh, item power of 1? Never realized that, I would expect 40, the same as
for the ring and amulet. Looks like a bug.

Re. dragon food

> it's too easy now to get resistances up. That has to slow down.

I think this fits into the part of reorganizing the entire world.

> Lastly The monster experience. Take the zorn quest,

Same as valriel, lots of xp. See above, I consider changing maps as part
of the reorganization of the world, too.

> Not right, making the old game obsolete with the maps that are easy
> and have literally the best items in it is dumb, and pointless,

Now I get it. Not the entire game, but the old maps are obsolete. Not
all, but in fact, they're less favoured. Some high level player (but
new / young) don't even know where to get some items, because they level
up in just a few dungeons...

Part of the idea of having chained quests to offer a more guided tour
through the crossfire world.

> now it's easy for new players to take highscores and destroy old
> player, come on we've been playing longer, we deserve it.

I wouldn't agree with this. Anyway, you gave good points and I
understand you.

> If all this could change that would be great, i want heaven to be
> remodified so it's fair, more itempower, more puzzles, more game.

Are you also willing to help by yourself? Creating / modifying maps,
adding puzzles, quests, ...?

I can't reorganize the world alone. And so far I'm not even sure if this
would be desired. There aren't much comments about this issue.

Regards,

    Jürgen